Family in car

Here in Massachusetts, you’re required to carry auto insurance in order to register and drive a motor vehicle. As our icy roads give way to pothole season, it’s easy to see why. But it’s more difficult to understand the different components or coverages of your insurance. We want to help unpack the details.

You’re required to carry four types of auto insurance coverage, each with certain minimum limits:

  • Personal injury protection
  • Bodily injury to others
  • Bodily injury caused by an uninsured auto
  • Damage to others’ property

Depending on your driving record or your driving lifestyle and frequency, you may choose to only carry the minimum coverages or to pay for higher limits.

Most drivers choose to also carry collision and comprehensive insurance. Collision insurance covers a loss to your vehicle in the event of an impact with another vehicle, building, guardrail or object. Depending on the value of your car, you may choose to waive this kind of coverage or raise your deductible.

Comprehensive insurance coverage covers events that can happen to your vehicle outside of a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. Comprehensive coverage can also protect you financially if your car is damaged by natural disasters like flooding or tornadoes. Here in Massachusetts, we rarely see severe weather events, but it’s not uncommon to see cars damaged by falling branches and hail. Our ice storms may create pretty scenery in the winter, but they can wreak havoc on cars — whether you’re driving home or parked safely along the curb. Comprehensive insurance can provide you with more security.

As you weigh the options, contact an agent at Educators Insurance Agency to help you evaluate your policy against the value of your vehicle. We can help you get the right coverages in place for your financial security and peace of mind — whether you’re behind the wheel or parked.

Posted 4:52 PM

Share |

NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version


Auto Insurance
Home Insurance
Umbrella Insurance
Other Insurance

Customer Service

Get a Quote
Report a Claim
Frequently Asked Questions

EIA Resources

What to Do After a Car Accident
Refer a Friend
MTA Benefits Endorsed Program
Need a quote? Call 888.908.6822 or get an auto quote online now.

Mon-Fri 7am-12am, Sat 9am-5pm
Disclosure Statement | Legal Notice | Privacy Policy | Producer Compensation
Copyright 2017
Educators Insurance Agency,
440 Lincoln Street N 170, Worcester, MA 01653
Call: 888.908.6822